We’re only a few short days away from my favorite Fall holiday! Halloween holds a special place in my heart because my birthday is only two days before, and I grew up throwing epic Halloween/Birthday parties every year. Even as an adult, I love having an excuse to wear a costume outside of Disney World and Comicons without getting sideways glances.
To celebrate this upcoming Halloween, I wanted to share some boozy brews that, of course, all have wine as a key ingredient. As a bonus, if you invite me to your Halloween party, I promise to pour all of these for your guests!
Pumpkin Spice Wine Spritzer
- 4 oz. white wine
- Recommendation: 2018 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc ($14)
- 1 oz. pumpkin spice liquor
- seltzer for topping
- cinnamon stick for garnish
- Add ice to a low ball glass.
- Pour in the pumpkin spice liquor and the wine.
- Stir then top off the glass with seltzer.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.mantitlement.com
Red Wine Margarita with Black Lava Salt
- 4 oz Tequila
- 8 oz Margarita mix
- Lime juice
- Red wine
- Recommendation: 2017 Altos Las Hormigas Malbec ($10)
- Black salt
Pour red wine into an ice cube tray and let freeze overnight
Remove ice cube tray from freezer and add all the wine ice cubes into a blender
Pour the tequila, margarita mix, lime juice over the frozen wine cubes
Blend just for a second or two
Slice limes and rub around the rim of a margarita glass, dip the top of the glass into the black salt
Fill with the wine margarita mixture
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.myturnforus.com
- 1 cup whole black grapes
- 1 cup whole green grapes
- 2 oranges — sliced into rounds
- 1 lemon — sliced into rounds
- 1 lime — sliced into rounds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 bottle red wine
- Recommendation: 2016 Borsao Tres Picos Grenache ($14)
- 1 can ginger ale — (12 ounces)
- Colored sugar — for rimming glasses
Rinse and de-stem grapes, then pat dry. Spread in a single layer a baking sheet, then place in the freezer at least 2 hours before you plan to serve
In a large glass pitcher, combine 1/2 of the orange slices (reserve the second half for serving), lime, and lemon slices. Add the brandy and cinnamon stick and stir gently to combine. Slowly pour in the wine. Refrigerate sangria for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight (a longer chill time will increase the flavor).
When ready to serve, add the ginger ale to the pitcher and stir gently with spoon. To sugar the glass rims, place the colored sugar on a plate, then rub an orange slice around the glass rim. Dip the rim of each glass into the sugar, coating well. Fill glasses with frozen grapes and reserved orange slices, then slowly pour in the sangria. Sip immediately and enjoy.
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.wellplated.com
Bloody Rum Punch
- 1 (750 mL) bottle rum
- 1/2 (750 mL) bottle red wine
- Recommendation: 2017 La Crema Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast ($13)
- 6 oz lime juice (fresh)
- 6 oz triple sec
- 6 oz simple syrup
- 2 limes (sliced into thin wheels)
- 2 red oranges (sliced into thin wheels)
- In a large punch bowl or pitcher, combine the rum, red wine, lime juice, triple sec, simple syrup, and lime and orange slices.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving (overnight is better).
- Serve over ice in punch glasses and enjoy!
Ghouls Night In
- 2 oz Pinot Grigio
- Recommendation: 2018 Zenato Lugana San Benedetto Pinot Grigio ($14)
- .5 oz chocolate vodka
- .5 oz hazelnut liqueur
- .25 oz chocolate syrup (clear kind)
- Caramel sauce
- Chopped peanuts
- Rim a chilled cocktail glass with caramel syrup, then dip into chopped peanuts. Set aside.
- Pour Barefoot Pinot Grigio, vodka, liqueur and chocolate syrup into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled.
- Strain into prepared cocktail glass.
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.barefootwine.co.uk